Performance Peugeot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» PERFORMANCE PEUGEOT INSURANCE SCHEME WITH CHRIS KNOTT INSURANCE
Organised speed limits EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 6:02 am by Tim@ChrisKnott

» WIN an Autoglym Car Valeting Kit in our new online magazine
Organised speed limits EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 12:25 am by Felix

» 206 1.1 gsr induction kit
Organised speed limits EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 5:09 am by Jon

» ONLINE TRAVEL INSURANCE WITH CHRIS KNOTT INSURANCE - INSTANT QUOTES!
Organised speed limits EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 5:48 am by Tim@ChrisKnott

» my 106 gti
Organised speed limits EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 5:50 am by typhusfever

» Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Organised speed limits EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 12:37 pm by typhusfever

» HOME INSURANCE FROM CHRIS KNOTT INSURANCE
Organised speed limits EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 5:40 am by Tim@ChrisKnott

» Alfa Romeo soon history?
Organised speed limits EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 5:43 am by typhusfever

» Tyres are way too over-priced
Organised speed limits EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 3:29 am by typhusfever

Affiliates
Poll
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Organised speed limits

3 posters

Go down

Organised speed limits Empty Organised speed limits

Post by French Connection Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:37 am

I thought I start it here. Yes it is a small forum, as a matter of fact t is currently one of the smallest forums. But hey, one has got to start somewhere.

What is it?

Orgrnised speed limits.

What is it supposed to be?

A campaign.

Let e explain:

Looking at different countries we can see obviously different patterns with different kinds of speed limits.

According to so called experts the way you can drive in Germany on many motorways has killed the entire driver population.

Well, these drama kings and queens want to sell us their stupidity as wisdom.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against speedd limits, but I am against useless speed limits.

Speed limits don't deter criminals, politicians, the police, drunk people and socially doubtful characters.

The solution to kill road casualties and fatalities is not reducing the speed limit in general. It has to be limited in certain zones and possibly in certain times of the day.

Also increasing the spped limit on motorways for cars would be beneficial because of concentration issues on long, tiring hold-ups, which motorways have turned to. Again, danger spots need addressing.

When certain elements claim that speed kills I have to reply that we then stopp moving, which then makes it impossible to collide and have an accident.

It is a known fact that people have died in accidents with an impact speed of 5mph. But also people have survived crashes in the region of over 180mph.

A lot of the statistics in so called 'speed related' accidents is distorted simply the causes of speeding have not been established.

Drunk drivers do loose easy control over speed and control of vehicles. Stolen vehicles mostly travel faster than others.

There is much more that needs discussing, but one thing must be clear is that speed reduction is not the answer to reduce deadly accidents. Even if statistics suggest that where spped cameras are installed that it has reduced accidents the argument is doubtful. It has at best shifted the accidents to other places. And there is only one site in the UK where it has 'been proven' to work, which is usually being used as 'the proof'. On al other sites is has not been possible to verify.

The answer is organising the speed limits, which neither politicians nor councils nor most of the police force are able to provide constructive arguments.

Worth starting a campaign?

Would like to hear your replies.

French Connection
Admin

Back to top Go down

Organised speed limits Empty Re: Organised speed limits

Post by typhusfever Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:39 pm

It would be good if enough sensible minded people could get together to fight these loonies who seriously believe the national speed limit should be 50, and we should all doddle around at 20 in residential zones to stop killing everyone in a case massive traffic holocaust.

The fact of the matter is that the speed of vehicles on British roads is not killing people, in fact speed is one of the LOWEST factors that causes death of other road users and pedestrians. It is much more dangerous driving (pulling out, taking corners too quickly, no indication, no vision) and peoples inability to handle cars in the times of crisis.

A study in the U.S. found that around 80% of drivers will drive at the speeds they deem relevant and safe, ignoring the speed limit. This means that in some places they do stick to speed limit, while in others they were going 10 - 20 MPH over. On a certain stretch of road (I forget, it was on Pistonheads) the local authority raised the limit to 80 because they found most people were going through at that speed. Despite the idiot idea that raising the speed limit will make people go over 10 MPH the new limit was proved completely false as everyone still did 80 MPH, which allowed the authorities to back off policing that area as the accident levels actually dropped.

The U.S. has the right idea on traffic control; Britain is full of nancy idiots with no clue and a hatred of cars.

typhusfever

Back to top Go down

Post by French Connection Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:50 am

typhusfever wrote:It would be good if enough sensible minded people could get together to fight these loonies who seriously believe the national speed limit should be 50, and we should all doddle around at 20 in residential zones to stop killing everyone in a case massive traffic holocaust.

The fact of the matter is that the speed of vehicles on British roads is not killing people, in fact speed is one of the LOWEST factors that causes death of other road users and pedestrians. It is much more dangerous driving (pulling out, taking corners too quickly, no indication, no vision) and peoples inability to handle cars in the times of crisis.

A study in the U.S. found that around 80% of drivers will drive at the speeds they deem relevant and safe, ignoring the speed limit. This means that in some places they do stick to speed limit, while in others they were going 10 - 20 MPH over. On a certain stretch of road (I forget, it was on Pistonheads) the local authority raised the limit to 80 because they found most people were going through at that speed. Despite the idiot idea that raising the speed limit will make people go over 10 MPH the new limit was proved completely false as everyone still did 80 MPH, which allowed the authorities to back off policing that area as the accident levels actually dropped.

The U.S. has the right idea on traffic control; Britain is full of nancy idiots with no clue and a hatred of cars.

Exactly the point I am trying to make. And this is what makes the speed limits as they are in the UK a useless exercise from the safety point of view.

French Connection
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lip Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:11 am

i agree with you guys on this, say for example im driving a road i know well and im confident on its very clear with no traffic i'll drive it to my ability and at a speed i feel safe at and that the car i drive is safe at. i also believe this hatred of cars is even more present in modified cars when in actual fact alot of performance minded car enthusiasts imo make their cars safer to control in tight situations i'll admit there are alot of numties out there that make their cars unsafe with mods and id quite like to see some sort of system to help stop this maybe something like what the belgians have? yes more hassle for those who do things properly and safely but i think accident rates would fall as these cars wouldnt pass an mot.

lip

Back to top Go down

Post by typhusfever Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:56 am

There's certainly a hatred of modified cars in Britain, mostly brought on by Halfords modifiers. To anyone with half a brain my car would be deemed safer than a standard 206 GTi, after driving mine and then being forced to drive my dads 306 LX 1.6 ... anything with drum brakes needs removing from the roads! lol

typhusfever

Back to top Go down

Post by lip Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:24 am

typhusfever wrote:There's certainly a hatred of modified cars in Britain, mostly brought on by Halfords modifiers. To anyone with half a brain my car would be deemed safer than a standard 206 GTi, after driving mine and then being forced to drive my dads 306 LX 1.6 ... anything with drum brakes needs removing from the roads! lol
the halfords modders who like chopping springs instead of fitting better ones. as for drums yeah i agree not drove a car with drums for few years now think id be scared to

lip

Back to top Go down

Post by typhusfever Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:32 am

Barry-boy exhausts don't do anything for real modders either.

typhusfever

Back to top Go down

Post by lip Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:46 am

typhusfever wrote:Barry-boy exhausts don't do anything for real modders either.
haha not a fan of the 12" jap slash cut back box then mate? lol always thought it was interesting tbh kinda resembles some caves i visited as a boy in cornwall Organised speed limits Icon_lol

lip

Back to top Go down

Post by typhusfever Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:53 am

can't say I am no; it's more of a concern for Smart car drivers...there's one thing rear ending someone but driving up their exhaust must be a really traumatic experience.

But I have the admit the sound that they make, that long deep farting sound when ever they move...really is just annoying. It's not so much the noise they make, just that it doesn't produce anything to me; extra noise should equal better performance. :p

typhusfever

Back to top Go down

Post by lip Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:54 am

typhusfever wrote:can't say I am no; it's more of a concern for Smart car drivers...there's one thing rear ending someone but driving up their exhaust must be a really traumatic experience.

But I have the admit the sound that they make, that long deep farting sound when ever they move...really is just annoying. It's not so much the noise they make, just that it doesn't produce anything to me; extra noise should equal better performance. :p
poor poor smart car drivers Organised speed limits Icon_eek .
oh i agree with that mate for me its gotta be a raspy aggressive rally type tone cant stand bellowy deep drones does my head in

lip

Back to top Go down

Post by typhusfever Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:04 pm

I just like the sound to be from the engine; I want a burble from a big block V8, I want a scream from a high revving N/A four cylinder, I want a whine from superchargers, and a pop, bang, flame, everyone scared to death, whine, eat children noise from a turbo engines.

Basically, if the engine is making the noise (i know that induction and exhaust are key players, but you get what I'm saying...mine sounds ace now with GSR [apparently very loud though...Muaahaha]...then I don't mind. A 1 litre Corsa should not sound like a wheezing Mustang.

typhusfever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum